Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday in Paris

My roommate and I today.

After a late night out in the 6th arrondisement, my roommates and I took the privledge of sleeping in until 11.  A couple of changes of outfits, we made a stop by our local boulangerie(bakery) to get our daily fix of coffee and pastry.  I chose to get the fig and raspberry slice of tartin--excellent with a hint of lemon-y goodness. 

After our short, but enjoyable bench on sidewalk breakfast, we headed out for a full day of strolling around the 7th arrondisement.  The skies had cleared up from yesterday and were a brilliant blue dotted with puffy clouds.  We took the metro to L'Ecole Millitaire and walked down sun drenched "rues", admiring the shopes and cafes.  Eventually, we stumbled upon Le Invalides, which is a huge church(l'eglise) with a gold laquered dome on top with, of course, a cross.  It took me a couple of minutes to remember that this great monument was where Napoleon Bonaparte is buried--it was also the first place my sister, Alia, took my parents and I to in Paris five years ago.  A gouche de(to the left) of Le Invalides, is the jardin(garden).  It is immaculate, colorful and serene. Everything is perfectly manicured and lush.  

From the jardin, my roommates and I headed to Le Bon Marche(the great market). On the way, we passed an adorable and oh so jolie(pretty) jardin called Le Jardin de Catherine LaBoure. Lots of flowers, shrubs, ivy, etc.  After the picturesque pit stop, we went into the Conrad Shop. Let's just say my jaw dropped--the most amazing interior design store...comparable to New York City's ABC..but modern. I was trying to discretely take photos on my BlackBerry. I know that when my parents come to visit me in November, this will definitenly be on the intinorary.  

Right next door was Le Bon Marche..and great it was.  They have to seperate building, one strictly fashion and interior design, the other the true "food market." The clothes----I thought I was going to have to find duct tape to cover my mouth from ooing and ahhing. It was euphoria and I really can't describe it.  I think the prices of the clothes brought me down to earth.

And now onto the more afforadable part--the food market section.  Amazing again--everything you could ever want in a gourmet food store.  The freshest fruits, veggies, cheeses, seafood, meats, etc. For our picnic at the Eiffel Tower, we got at Le Bon Marche:

1) Peaches(my choice)
2)Personal green salad with micro grains(for myself)
3)Proscuitto(I actually broke my vegetariaism on this! Well worth it, since its really thinly sliced meat...but I don't think I'll be eating steak or breaded chicken cutlets any time soon..)
4)Chauvignon Blanc--it was pretty strong..
5)Two baguettes--one traditional and one grain--we chose the grain for the picnic
6)A trio of cheeses..we went through one of the cheeses...I have no idea what it was but it was probably the best cheese I've ever tried. I'll try to find out what it was, because I'm personally dying to know.
7)Bag of carrots(my choice)

We took our groceries to L'Tour Eiffel and sat on a park bench in the shadows of the Tower.  It was a very memorable experience. After the best lunch ever(which was really at 4:30 pm..) we walked underneath the Eiffel Tower and to an overlooking area and took typical touristy photos.  

I'll post pictures tomorrow--it's really late here. 

Tomorrow, my roommates and I will be going to the Marais section(3eme) to go shopping, walking..all typical Parisean activities.  Bon soir!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment