Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday in the Palais

For the older set(and when I mean older, I mean anybody who listented to Chicago on the radio during that time), Saturday in the Park was a popular song for jazz/rock band Chicago before they turned Carnival Cruise on us all.

So what does Chicago have to do with this blog post? I thought the lyrics applied to my experience at the Jardin du Luxembourg this afternoon.

Friday in the palais, 
I think it was the Fourth of September
Friday in the palais,
I think it was the Fourth of September
People smoking, people laughing, 
A woman selling crepes
Singing French songs
Can you dig it (oui, I can) 
And I've been waiting such a long time
For Friday in the palais


The main building in Jardin du Luxembourg is Palais du Luxembourg--so palais replaced the "park" in this stanza for the song.

Unreal.

So about my afternoon....

Jardin du Luxembourg is magnificent in every single way--it is as if somebody put their paintbrush in the most brilliant colors and painted the wide array of flowers.  The Palais stands tall and grand with the French flag waving proudly in the calm wind. The terraces are sprinkled with olive green metal chairs perfect for lounging, sun bathing, etc.  There are also ivory colored statues dotted around the area with leafy side paths that provide shade.  Infront of the Palais there is a large circular fountain where kids tend to play around.  There is also a huge "quad" if you will--I guess its really a garden/grass type layout. It also has a few structures to provide the eye with a couple of focal points...but I have to admit it is hard to take ones eyes off of the brilliant flowers. I sat for about 40 minutes just watching the sun setting on the trees and the garden itself.  I was also people-watching(a Parisian artform) and saw young and elderly couples, kids and people my age just relaxing, talking or having a picnic. Everybody was taking advtange of the beyond perfect day in Paris that afternoon--it was the place to be.

Apres le jardin du Luxembourg, my roommates and I walked around the never-disappointing 6th arrondisement.  We grabbed dinner and saw a terrible live performance of Michael Jackson songs. We went passed the guy performing, and just my luck, he touches me on the shoulder as I walk past and starts singing to me. I sprinted away from him..literally. My roommates thought it was funny.  After the Michael Jackson impersonator tried to impersonate what Michael Jackson has been accussed of (well not to that extent) we got gelatto. I got the Strattiatella(butchered spelling)..it's chocolate chip.

Soooo.....

Here is the link to the photos because my post doesn't even begin to capture the beauty of Jardin du Luxembourg--->Pictures!!!! I recommend watching it in slideshow format--the pictures are bigger!

PS-Have fun with Earl! Only kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment